Remember when I said I only wanted to write about really interesting things? Well, that's one reason why I haven't been writing often. I feel like nothing is that interesting. But then I realize, this is all interesting, and I should be writing about everything. Something that definitely meets the definition of "really interesting" though is spending Saturday with a Turkish family.
I had no idea what I would do this past weekend when my plans to Antalya fell through. Fortunately, my Turkish colleagues didn't want me to be alone much. Saturday afternoon I was picked up by one who delivered a bed foam with him! (My first week in Isparta I was only getting about 3 hours of sleep a night due to my very hard bed, so this was a huge lifesaver.) He then proceeded to take me to the city centre to do some "shopping." Thanks to the list Mom made me make, I knew just what to get. We copied my house key, went to the pharmacy to buy bug cream and sleeping pills (just $10 for both!), bought a lamp for my bedroom so I can read at night, and bought more minutes for my mobile phone. I thought it was a successful outing and was ready to go home when his wife (in Turkish) invited me over to their home.
I was given slippers upon coming into the fourth story flat (always remember to take your shoes off in a Turkish home!). We then sat in the living room and watched tv in English for awhile. His wife began to cook dinner and I asked if I could watch. I'm having a hard time cooking here, so I wanted to see everything she did. It took her more than two hours to prepare dinner. I definitely do not have that patience (sorry future husband). While she continued cooking, I was shown into the younger of the sons' bedrooms who proceeded to show me his English skills on a computer program they bought for him. He was so pleased when he successfully asked me how I was, how I liked dinner, and told me to come back again. After the amazing dinner of homemade lentil soup, meatballs and rice, cucumber salad, and chocolate pudding, his wife read my fortune. I have previously had this experience with Turkish coffee in Cyprus, and now look forward to any offer of Turkish coffee. After drinking my coffee (really good if it has a lot of sugar) she proceeded to turn my cup over in the saucer and wait for the cup to cool completely. Then the grounds are ready to be read. After looking intently at it, she simply said I have money available to me and that I will travel a lot. (I think I can safely say that this statement is made to any American visiting Turkey.) I'm really excited to have my fortune read again, as they say all Turkish women are trained in the "skill" of fortune telling. I was soon picked up by my "buddy" to be taken out with the younger teachers, but not before the wife could give me a gift of a red scarf- something that will come in handy as it's early October and it's already getting in the 40s at night.
Did you feel like you were in Professor Trelawney's class?
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited you got foam….haha.
ReplyDelete