I never thought I'd be able to get gluten-free products here, so I had a surprising week. I received a package from my mom last Monday (it only took a week!!) and was very happy to see inside gluten-free spaghetti and gluten-free crackers (along with hot cheetos, macadamia nuts, and herbal tea). I was so happy to have some comforts from home. The people in my department didn't really understand why I was so happy to receive a package, but hey, I never went away to college! The head of my department was also confused about the gluten-free spaghetti insisting I can get that here. She then proceeded to take me to the grocery store to show me. The 3M Migros here (based on a 5M scale) has a whole gluten-free section! It basically consists of gluten-free pasta and flour. I also got some cookies that were fairly good. And like at home, it was pretty expensive, so I only got some more pasta. Later in the week, my boss went back to buy me gluten-free flour and had her maid bake up some sweets for me. On Saturday morning then, when my boss took me to her maid's house for a traditional Turkish breakfast, I enjoyed gluten-free biscuits, chocolate chip cookies, and a chocolate cake, all for myself!! I was shocked. She used the entire kilo of gluten-free flour to simply make me feel at home. And it worked. I now have a ton of left over cookies and cake that I will enjoy at home this week. This experience again has just revealed the amazing Turkish hospitality that always seems to overwhelm me, and in this case, satisfy my sweet tooth.
P.S. Please ask me for my address if you would like to be amazing and mail me a package.
So how is Oya doing as your substitute Anne? We all want to make sure you are eating. Do you miss my cooking? Love, your amazing Anne.
ReplyDeleteAnnem (my mother)- Oya is now referring to herself as my aunt, not mother, I think because it was making her feel old. Right now I miss Mexican food the most and would love your chicken casserole thing, of course without corn.
ReplyDeleteWho is Anne? And does eating gluten-free products make you feel at home? I would think that eating gluten would make you feel at home. Like fun-fetti cupcakes...oh man I want some so bad!!
ReplyDeleteAnne is "mother" in Turkish. And the opportunity to have gluten-free products makes me feel at home. Funfetti cupcakes, brownies, etc. would really make me feel at home.
ReplyDelete