Friday, December 10, 2010

My New Turkish Apartment

After being in Isparta for nearly three months, I have finally moved. My department did provide me amazing (free!) housing, but I had a pretty difficult time living there. It was basically a small house with a nice kitchen, laundry, family room, guest room, and amazing view. But it was very isolated, lonely, and at times scary. So, after looking for a flat for over a month, I have finally moved off the hill!

A friend who works with the Erasmus exchange students from Europe introduced me to two Turkish girls last week. I came and saw the place and after a few days decided that this was where I needed to move. It is not as close to the city center as I was hoping, but it is about 5 minutes to the bus station/mall/large grocery store and a 5 minute walk to the bus stop that takes me directly to school. The city center and most restaurants are still about a 15 minute walk, but overall the location is much better than my little house on the edge of the forest. I do have to purchase some furniture for my room though, so once I buy my bed, I will post a picture.

The two girls are very sweet. They are both students, but are 23 and 25, and their English is fairly good. They were seriously so giddy when I moved in last night. They are thrilled about having an American flatmate to practice their English with. And I am thrilled about their cooking. Dinner and breakfast were amazing. I really hope they can help me to learn to cook. Last night they even set up my makeshift bed on the couch without me realizing while I was unpacking. Oh, Turkish hospitality.

I can easily detect a change in my attitude and feelings about being in Turkey and am so glad I decided to move. Having to pay rent, instead of being at the free university housing, was a choice definitely for the best. We'll see how the year goes though, but for now, at least I can say that I feel welcome in my new home and that I'm sharing meals with people!

3 comments:

  1. your living situation and totally have an effect on your attitude. im glad that you made a change for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I feel so much happier. Even with the late night boys and cigarette smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you have flatmates and are close to everything. Are you practicing conversational Turkish?

    ReplyDelete