This summer when I was reconsidering returning to Turkey, I made a list of things I would really miss about Turkey. Here it is:
- my friends (American and Turkish)
- traveling
- Turkish coffee
- the call to prayer
- football
- dolma
- the sea
- the beautiful mountains
- fresh orange juice in Antalya
Now being back, I know it was definitely the right decision to return. I've been spending time here with another American who really doesn't like it here and it's actually reinforced things I love about this place. We have been having a really good time together though. I've been staying at her place for my week holiday because my house isn't ready yet. Last night we went to the beach to go swimming and it just made me so glad to be back here. There were quite a few people sitting on the rocky beach, some couples, others groups of friends. We ate dinner watching the clouds roll by (which later brought rain) and eventually went in. It wasn't too cold and felt really good since the weather has been in the 90s, and the low 80s at night. The waves are rather small here, so it's perfect for just floating. The city lights were so beautiful, especially the faint lights on the distant mountains. And looking up at the clear stars, I realized this is where I'm supposed to be, at least for this year. It just feels right.
Enjoy this year and then come home!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you went back too. Now hopefully I can come visit. I'm so excited to see what this new year brings you. And what is dolma?
ReplyDeleteDolma is the stuffed pepper thing.
ReplyDelete